Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Three Generations of Handwritten Recipes

Is there such a thing as organized handwriting? If so, my mom has it! Her handwriting is so pretty that it should be turned into a computer font. The interesting thing is, my own handwriting is very similar to my mom’s handwriting. Is it because I have the shape of her hands? Or is it because I've always wanted to have handwriting just as beautiful as hers? Maybe its a little bit of both. :)

Here is a recipe written by me. My handwriting resembles my mom’s, but the strokes are larger and a little bit rounder. I've always loved my mom’s handwriting...and I think that I have nice handwriting, too.

Below is a recipe written by my Grandma. The three of us have similar handwriting styles that all slant gently to the right. I feel so blessed to have my Grandma's recipes...like this one for apple jelly.

I recently got to wondering how my mom has been able to perfect her handwriting over the years. After thinking about this for a while, I realized that she always takes her time when she writes. Even when she makes her to-do lists, she always writes very slowly and intentionally. Each and every time she writes its as if she’s practicing the art of calligraphy.

Calligraphy seems to be such a lost art these days, and having nice handwriting comes in very "hand-y." From writing thank you notes and birthday cards, to labeling presents and pictures in a scrapbook - it seems like there is always a good reason for having pretty handwriting and for jotting something down.

We all have the potential to have nice handwriting. Ask yourself what you would like you’re handwriting to look like. Is there someone who has handwriting that you admire? Maybe you could check out a calligraphy book from the local library, or print out a computer font that you like. The key is to practice and take your time...even when writing checks and making to-do lists. Be patient and kind to yourself while you are practicing. And remember mistakes can always be erased.

There is a Japanese term called “kira-kira” that translates into “something that glitters." To me, my mom’s handwriting is kira-kira. And so are her hands. They are very graceful and her fingers are long and elegant. But what I love even more than the way they look, is all the good they have done throughout the years.

It would be fun for someone to analyze my handwriting someday. Is anybody a handwriting expert out there? :)

Happy organizing, saving, & writing by hand,

Cathy

2 comments:

  1. I love neat handwriting. Most guys do not have very neat writing, but I practice mine everyday, and every chance that I get! My fourth grade teacher's handwriting was very good! She made every letter and word gracefully. I also like to keep different articles of handwritten things from different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I love beautiful handwriting. I struggle to write well, because my hands cramp up a lot, and then, I slant to the left. I think mine is pretty, just difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete